South Fremantle’s South Beach has long been a popular destination for families and tourists and is widely regarded for its relaxed atmosphere, dining options and dedicated dog beach. If you've never checked out this Fremantle institution, here are ten reasons why you should.
1. At the heart of South Beach is the South Beach Café, a hub for casual dining, takeaway coffee and even live music by local artists on a Sunday afternoon. Open for breakfast and lunch, the café serves the typical oceanside light meals and snacks, such as burgers, fish and chips, sandwiches and that all important ice cream for the kids. There’s a real laid back attitude to this place – and they don’t even mind if you bring your dog inside.
The South Beach Cafe.
2. Down the far end of the park and close to the dog beach entrance, you’ll find the Pickled Fig, a quirky alternative to the South Beach Café. Breakfast is served all day from 7:30am and has an international and local flavour. They also serve a delightful array of cakes and muffins that kids will undoubtedly be drawn to (cue excessive cries of ‘but I’m still hungry’ upon seeing said cakes and muffins).
The cafe offers a large choice of meals and snacks.
3. Luckily, South Beach has a fun playground for children to explore and work off that sugar-driven hyperactivity. At the ‘SS South Beach’ children are provided with the opportunity to step into a pirate’s shoes and Walk the Plank, climb ropes and yell ‘abandon ship!’ from the top of the playground. There’s also a swing set and a hammock, just in case all that play gets a bit too much.
You'll also find the Pickled Fig at South Beach.
4 & 5. If you’d prefer to takeaway your meal or bring your own to the beach, there are barbeque facilities and picnic tables available, along with a gazebo that would be great for a picnic on a sunny summer afternoon (if you’re lucky enough to snag it).
The gazebo is a poplar spot in summer.
6. The beach itself is quite spectacular and the coastline is pristine, so it’s easy to see why so many families flock here to watch the sunset on a balmy evening.
7. Another big drawcard is the designated dog beach, where your four-legged family member can run freely, without drawing the ire of non-doggie families. There are doggie bags available, so don’t forget to pick up a few on your way down to the beach.
8. For families looking for a beautiful place to get some exercise, you’ll find a bike and walking track, which runs to Victoria Quay and South Mole from South Beach, providing stunning views of the ocean.
Kids can even walk the plank.
9. You can find ample parking along Marine Terrace in South Fremantle, or along Ocean Drive.
10. The beach is also close to the free Fremantle CAT bus stop, making it an excellent destination for a great family day out.