Cooking is a skill I wish I’d taken more of an interest in during my youth. Even now, my lack of culinary skills is a bit of a running joke between my husband and I and even got a mention in our wedding vows. I try, but my cooking just doesn’t seem to work out the way it should. It’s never too early (or too late) to get involved in cooking or get the kids interested in being around food or the kitchen (and I don’t mean hovering for another biscuit.)
Perth is home to a number of cooking schools and classes who can teach your child a thing or two in the kitchen, and you never know – you might discover a little Masterchef on your hands.
• Offer a variety of classes for children aged from 3 years and up.
• School holiday classes and classes during term time for group bookings.
• Introduces kids to healthy eating using child-friendly recipes.
• Helps children learn to work as a team, clean up after themselves and try new tastes and textures.
• Also run Junior Cooking Parties for children aged 3 to 5 years and School Aged Parties
• Offer their ‘Get Kids Cooking’ Classes for children aged 10 to 16 years.
• $85 for a two-hour class.
• Crustacean and nut free.
• There are two classes to choose from – make delicious Carbonara (including fresh pasta!) and chocolate refridgerator cake, or choose to make tasty banoffee pies and Mexican fajitas.
• Classes run all year round, including a special Christmas class.
• Classes use fun games to learn culinary skills.
• Skills include mixing, rolling and baking.
• Classes include a tour through the kitchen to learn some potential dangers and handy kitchen hints.
• Learn about the five senses and the five food groups.
• Make sweet and savoury items.
• Team work and cleaning up.
• Children’s cooking classes are run by a qualified chef who has a working with children card.
• Classes are held during school holidays.
• Have a Sushi Class birthday party!
• Parties are held in your home or choice of venue.
• Learn how to make sushi rolls.
• Cost is $280 for 10 children and $5 each for any extra children in attendance.
• Each child makes 20 pieces of sushi, plus sushi art for lunch or a snack.
• Gluten free options available.
• Birthday child will be the chef during the session!
• Come and try a Junior Masterchef cooking class!
• Each class is designed to keep children stimulated and entertained while also learning to prepare dishes with creativity and laughter.
• All equipment supplied.
• After the class the mini chefs can eat the food they have prepared and take home any leftovers for the family to try!
• Each class runs for 1.5 to 2 hours.
• Classes are suitable for kids aged between 8 and 14 years.
• Designed and caters for all levels of experience in the kitchen.
• Classes are $80 per person and children will create a 2 course Italian meal.
• Dishes include homemade potato gnocchi, Italian sausage and leek ragu, panna cotta and mixed berry compote. Yum!
These classes are a fantastic way to introduce kids to cooking and might even mean you get a little bit of help in the kitchen at dinner time!
Do you care about what we are leaving our kids and want to know what we can do to provide better options for them? Then join in on this ‘Integrated’ Conscious Parenting Workshop run by The Emotional Literacy and Mindfulness Academy for Kids.