Garden City has been my local shopping centre for many years. It has undergone refurbishment and redevelopments over the years to remain current and competitive in the changing retail sector. Plans are progressing to bring the “garden” back into Garden City and to redevelop and expand the centre to be WA’s largest fashion and leisure destination.
Now that I am a mum, I view Garden City through a different lens. Here are the reasons why as a mum I love Garden City!
Civic Square Library
1. Shopping There are so many stores in Garden City in which to spend your time and money! Here are my top picks for stores that may be of interest to parents:
Kmart for well-priced clothes, toys and baby necessities
Cotton On Kids and Myer for children’s clothing
Riot! for art and craft supplies
The Athlete’s Foot for back to school footwear expertly fitted and their MyFit Rewards loyalty program
Jeanswest for maternity clothes and Bras N Things for maternity bra fittings
Smiggle for trendy stationery for kids
Australian Geographic Shop for educational science and nature kids toys and gifts
Wizard Pharmacy holds a free baby clinic on Fridays from 10am – 2pm providing weight and measure growth checks, baby hand and foot prints using non-toxic washable ink to personalise your greeting cards or to create a memento, and advice and support on breast feeding, nutrition and for new parents.
2. Food Garden City has both a Coles and Woolworths supermarket for food and baby essentials.
The food court has a range of dining and takeaway options for meals, snacks, special treats or a caffeine hit.
My Health Food Store sells fenugreek tea which may be of benefit to increase breast milk supply.
3. Entertainment Hoyts Cinema holds a Prams at the PIX session every Wednesday morning except during school holidays. The volume is reduced, the lights are left on dimmed, no one is going to mind if there is a screaming baby or a toddler tantrum and best of all tickets are only $11 and kids under 5 are free.
Hoyts Cinema Prams at the PIX sessions
Civic Square Library holds a free Baby Rhyme Time session every Wednesday and Friday during school term. The sessions are for children aged 3 to 24 months featuring a mix of songs, rhymes, activities and movements to help babies develop communication skills in a fun atmosphere. For older children aged 2 to 5 years, Storytime sessions are held every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for children to enjoy a story and do a simple craft activity.
Centre displays and kids activities change throughout the year. In the summer months, free outdoor twilight concerts are held in the Limestone Amphitheatre. You can join the kids club online to receive email notifications for events aimed at kids plus receive a special birthday surprise for your child.
4. Parking There are 4200 car bays at Garden City all with free parking. Annual Parents with Prams parking permits are available from the Information Desk in the Central Fashion Mall for $2, which is donated to charity. The designated Parents with Prams parking bays are conveniently located close to various entrance points and are extra wide making it easy to move children, prams and strollers in and out of your car. Alternatively, Booragoon Bus Station is located on site for easy public transport.
5. Parenting Facilities The parenting rooms in Garden City offer a comfortable and private zone to look after your children’s needs. There are curtained bays with chairs to breastfeed in private if you prefer to do so, lounge chairs with TV and toys, changing areas and a microwave to heat up bottles and food.
Essential Information Address: 125 Risely St – Booragoon
Opening hours: Open 7 days trading hours vary for general stores, supermarkets and entertainment – refer to website for details
Expect a jam-packed program of pop-up venues, non-stop entertainment, food trucks galore, boutique market stalls, amazing authors, fantastic activities for all ages, free dance lessons and so much more.
In the grounds of Mundaring Weir Hotel, there will be entertainment, kids activities and a feast complete with interactive Medieval dancing, roast lambs, roast chickens, roast veggies, deserts, live musicians, Amazing fire shows, and the mighty fire sword fight for VIP ticket holders.