Optus Stadium will be transformed into the city’s biggest Christmas Festival in November and December.
1 cup self-raising flour
2 dessert spoons cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 ounce (35g) melted butter (I substitute 35mL vegetable oil here)
Vanilla essence (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 180c (conventional oven)
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients.
- Mix until well combined.
- Place mix into a lined or greased cake tin and bake for 40 minutes (the original recipe states 20 minutes but I have found that it takes 40 in my oven).
- You will know the cake is cooked when it springs back if you press lightly in the centre or a skewer comes out cleanly).
- Place cake on a cake rack and allow to cool before icing.
Please note - this recipe makes a cake that doesn't rise very much. To create a taller cake I recommend either baking two cakes and stacking them or substituting the self-raising flour for 1 cup of plain flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder and a pinch of salt (make sure to sift these together thoroughly to ensure that they are well integrated).
My trick to easily line a circular cake pan.
I love the versatility of this cake recipe. It can be played around with to create something to suit everyone's taste.
- Substituting half a banana for the egg gives the cake a pleasantly mild choc-banana flavour and is a great alternative for anyone suffering an egg allergy.
- Substituting half a banana for the egg and a plant based milk for the milk makes this cake vegan/vegetarian.
Do you want to learn how to knit? Or have recently started and would like to meet some new friends to share your creativity with, all while having a good chat? Perth Knitting Club has classes for you.
The beauty of this all in recipe is that you are able to place all of the dry ingredients into a ziplock bag and store it in your cupboard for a couple of weeks in much the same way you would store a pre-packaged cake mix. When it comes time to make the cake all you have to do is add the wet ingredients and bake.