1 cup self-raising flour
2 dessert spoons cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 ounce (35g) melted butter (I substitute 35mL vegetable oil here)
Vanilla essence (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 180c (conventional oven)
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients.
- Mix until well combined.
- Place mix into a lined or greased cake tin and bake for 40 minutes (the original recipe states 20 minutes but I have found that it takes 40 in my oven).
- You will know the cake is cooked when it springs back if you press lightly in the centre or a skewer comes out cleanly).
- Place cake on a cake rack and allow to cool before icing.
Please note - this recipe makes a cake that doesn't rise very much. To create a taller cake I recommend either baking two cakes and stacking them or substituting the self-raising flour for 1 cup of plain flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder and a pinch of salt (make sure to sift these together thoroughly to ensure that they are well integrated).
My trick to easily line a circular cake pan.
I love the versatility of this cake recipe. It can be played around with to create something to suit everyone's taste.
- Substituting half a banana for the egg gives the cake a pleasantly mild choc-banana flavour and is a great alternative for anyone suffering an egg allergy.
- Substituting half a banana for the egg and a plant based milk for the milk makes this cake vegan/vegetarian.
The Perth Crochet Club meets weekly to learn crochet, meet other Perth mums, and have a good chat. Whether you're a complete beginner or a seasoned pro, everyone is welcome to come along!
The beauty of this all in recipe is that you are able to place all of the dry ingredients into a ziplock bag and store it in your cupboard for a couple of weeks in much the same way you would store a pre-packaged cake mix. When it comes time to make the cake all you have to do is add the wet ingredients and bake.
Meerilinga centres across Perth offer children ages 2.5 - 4 years, quality, play-based Early Learning Programs to support their early learning and development before they begin kindy. Enrol now for 2019 and don't miss out on a place!