The best way for kids to learn about how nature works is to get them involved, and you can help your children learn about the life cycle of plants by planting and caring for flowers and vegetables.
These simple ideas can help you and your children plant a garden of learning possibilities.
How to grow your own lettuce from your old lettuce
Did you know you can regrow romaine lettuce?
Here's how you can do this:
1) Cut the old core off the lettuce leaving about two inches.
2) Break a toothpick into thirds and stick them into the bottom of the core creating a tripod.
3) Place the core into a jar or container.
4) Fill with enough water to cover the lettuce core by about a half inch and place in windowsill.
5) Water as needed (replacing completely if water turns colored).
Once the roots have formed place into garden or potting mix and wait for the lettuce to grow big enough to eat!
Having lettuce cores at different stages of growth is a nice teaching tool, and itís really easy to remind your kids what the lettuce used to look like when you have a freshly cut core sitting alongside the ďbaby lettuceĒ thatís been growing for a few weeks.
So, the next time you buy lettuce to make salad, make sure to save the core. You can include your kids in this indoor gardening project, and itís not much work so far as cleanup goes.
Egg head with cress hair
What you will need:
- Empty egg shells (try to just break off the top to empty them, so you have a good size shell left to use)
- Felt pens
- Stick-on wobbly eyes (optional)
- Cotton wool
- Cress seeds
- Empty egg cartn
To make them:
1) Wash out the egg shells and sit them in the egg box to keep them steady (on a cotton wool cushion to raise them up a bit if necessary).
2) Draw on some crazy faces, using the goggly eyes if youíve got some. You could do self-portraits or funny faces.
3) Put some cotton wool inside the shells and dampen them with some water.
4) Sprinkle cress seeds all over the cotton wool Ė good coverage will give you a full head of hair.
5) Pop them on a windowsill and wait for the hair to sprout. Itíll only take a couple of days.
6) Add a little bit of water if the cotton wool dries out, but not too much.
You can also use grass seeds for this craft. This allows you to give the eggheads a haircut which will grow back ready for a restyle. However you canít put the grass on your sandwiches!
After experimenting with all these different ways of growing plants we decided to get our own little portable garden.
We now have chilies, parsley, basil, oregano and strawberries! Yum
I hope you all have fun watching your gardens grow!